Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I have a blog so it must be official...


I’m starting this blog a bit later than I’d wanted, but I haven’t made my plans totally public yet.  Until then, I’ll just make sure this one doesn’t wind up on facebook.

A few months ago, I applied to the Peace Corps!  I submitted my application Febrary 18, my references arrived a couple weeks later, my legal forms a few weeks after that, and, on April 15, I had my initial interview.  On April 30, I received my nomination!  
Central or South America, Primary Teacher Training, March 2013!
I’m incredibly excited!  The nomination couldn’t be any more perfect for me.  So, if all goes according to plan, I’ll be headed south right around my 25th birthday.  Considering I just celebrated my 24th birthday eating pigs feet with my coworkers in Korea, I think I may be doing something right here.
So, that’s all the exciting stuff, now for the down and dirty of this part of the application process: medical and dental clearance.
I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but I haven’t been to a dentist in something close to 8 years.  I realize that’s a long time.  
That streak ends tomorrow.  I. am. terrified.  There is no way this will go well.  I personally know of at least two issues that will need to be addressed and god knows what will show up on those x-rays.  At least there’s a US certified dentist in Seoul that I can go to, and it should be a bit cheaper than going when I get home.
I’m also in the process of setting up an appointment for my medical evaluation.  In addition to not doing dentists, I’m not a big doctor person either.  I don’t even own ibprophen at this point.  My theory of just not getting sick or injured has worked pretty well for me so far.  It’s a shame to break such a strong tradition now.
Oh well, it will all be worth it when I’m on that plane to some Spanish speaking paradise in a few months.  Until then, I’ll try to keep you updated on the, from what I hear, agonizing application that will be my life for the foreseeable future.
PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment