Tuesday, April 16, 2013

So you want to send me presents... (yay!)

Several people have asked about sending care packages and such while I'm serving in Guyana.  This is what I know about the mail situation so far (taken directly from my Peace Corps Guyana Welcome Book):


Mail service between the United States and Guyana is fairly reliable. Airmail letters from home usually take two weeks to arrive in Guyana and four to five weeks to arrive in the United States from Guyana. Surface mail may take months. The further a Volunteer’s site is from a large city, the less dependable and frequent the mail service.

During training, my address in Guyana will be:

Tori Schwent, GUY 25
U.S. Peace Corps Guyana 
c/o United States Embassy 
100 Young & Duke Streets, Kingston 
Georgetown, Guyana 
South America 



As for packages, Volunteers are responsible for paying import duties on items mailed to them from outside the country. The customs process for obtaining sent items is often lengthy, although the duty on items is generally minimal. Customs will notify me directly if I have been sent a package. Peace Corps/Guyana cannot help get these packages released from customs. Small padded envelopes are recommended over boxes.  One alternative to shipping packages through regular mail is to 
send items through a service, such as DHL International or Federal Express. Both companies have offices in Georgetown, but their services are expensive. You can have items sent through these companies to the Peace Corps office in Georgetown, but you must provide the street address and phone number. (The street address for the Peace Corps is 33A Barrack Street, Kingston, Georgetown, Guyana. The phone number is 592.225.5073.) 

With that in mind, there's probably not going to be anything time sensitive coming my way, so don't worry too much about using an expensive carrier.  USPS should work just fine.  My address will also change after training, and I'll try to keep you updated as to when that will happen.  I'll try to keep a "wish list" posted in the sidebar of this blog for anyone who wants to send me goodies but has no idea what I may need or want.  :)

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment