Monday, June 17, 2013

Training

I finally have internet but I have absolutely no idea where to begin with this blog post...

Umm... training is going great and it's almost finished!  Craziness.   Only 2 more weeks until I'm officially a volunteer!  We're in our 8th week of training so far, which has been a mixture of safety, medical, culture, and teaching specific classes.  It's a lot of sitting and listening, but I've learned a lot and, for me, it's totally worth it.

Last week was challenge week for us which entailed hosting a couple teacher training sessions at my school.  (I could write a whole post about the schools here.  SOOO different.  No walls.  Chalkboards and posters dividing classrooms.  Insanity.)  It went way better than I expected, so that was fun.

We've been working two days a week in our practicum schools and I've been LOVING it.  I mostly teach Spanish and do some small group remedial reading instruction.  The irony of moving to South America and teaching them to speak Spanish is not lost on me.  I think it's hilarious.

For the big news, I got my site assignment on Friday!!!!  I'm officially going to be living in Lethem down south in the savannah.  It's more developed than my current training site, but I think it's going to be fun.  I'm going to be living with a 53 year old caterer/baker, so that's going to be absolutely delicious.  I've heard she's an absolutely amazing person.  They're sending out for site visits later this week, so I'lll tell you all about it then.  I'll also update my address for you all.

I know there's a ton more I should tell you about, but words are hard tonight.  lol.

If there's something you want to hear about, though, drop me a question in the comments.  I'd love to fill you in!

No comments:

Post a Comment